Start connecting with your readers!
Lots of Hexagon clients have a blog page which they update regularly with industry news, photos of recent projects or perhaps topical advice and comment. Whatever the reason for the blog post, it is important to remember that the writing style of the blog should usually be different to the style of the website in general.
Why? Well a blog is more akin to a conversation whereas the rest of the website is not. Blog posts give you the opportunity to talk to your readers in quite an informal way. Writing in a conversational manner will help to get across your personality, expertise and knowledge.
Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your blog posts:
- Try to write in the way you speak (although avoid clichés and slang).
- Read your blog out loud after you have written it. If it sounds unnatural and stilted, try injecting a bit more feeling and emphasis.
- Write the blog with a specific person in mind – perhaps a client or business contact (or even a friend or family member!). This will help you see the blog as more of a conversation.
- Read other blogs for style inspiration!
- Where possible, use ‘I’ and ‘you’ – this will immediately make the blog sound more informal and help to engage the reader.
- Don’t use technical jargon! (Or if you must, make sure it’s clearly explained, either within the article text or in a glossary/footnotes at the bottom) Where possible, use clear, simple language.
- Most importantly of all… be yourself!
One thought on “Start connecting with your readers!”